Monday, October 1, 2012

Number 4: Civilisation II


I’ll admit that this game was got grudgingly. It was a birthday present and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was playing Age of Empires. That was my personal choice too. So imagine the disappointment at getting something that even for its time was uglier (I’m not sure if it really was uglier but I sure do remember thinking that it looked bad the first time I booted it up), seemingly clunkier and not as action packed. I can even recall only booting it up the first time to please my parents and assure them that they hadn’t wasted money on me.

Yeah, It's not so pretty now

Despite my plans I was hooked within the first 10 minutes and played it and played it and then played it some more. The cliché ‘just one more turn’ really is quite apt here. There was many a night where I would be sorting out an epic counter attack, storming cities, expanding my empire and building an economic powerhouse, spreading democracy or brining more comrades into the fold and often it would be midnight before I even knew what was
In the early days there was the temptation to set and forget, fix tax rates and science rates then hope, but the real joy comes with managing every last little detail. It’s admittedly not for everyone but it has me hooked the fact that no two games are strategically the same very much appeals to my love of open ended games (if you haven’t already detected a theme here).
Again, there have been better, more in-depth, and some may say more definitive versions, Civ IV immediately comes to mind. It doesn’t change the impact that Civ II ha on me. It wasn’t pretty, but it was so darn addictive and got me hooked so readily. It will always hold a special place for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment